Go Green Pest Control
Naturally, you want to get rid of your pests naturally. It’s the humane thing to do. After all, we as humans are typically the invaders to pests’ territory, not the other way around. Most pest control methods are geared towards extermination, but this article lists some things you can do that are less sinister in nature. Focus on what you can do to prevent or stop infestations. Based on tried-and-true methods, here’s a list of things that will help you redirect your pests elsewhere in an environmentally-friendly way.
- Conduct an investigation. To get started, figure out what type of pest you have exactly, where its nest is located, and where it is entering the home. Once you’ve identified it, you can use one of many green methods effective at getting rid of the specific pest.
- Clean up. Pests of all shapes and sizes are attracted to messes. They love laundry on the floor, crumbs on the counter or carpet, spills, open food packages, unkempt wood piles, and long-standing piles of stuff. So, be sure to vacuum, sweep, wipe, and dust your house, paying attention to small crevices.
- Put it under lock and key. Make it hard for pests to get into your food. Close food containers tightly, store chips bags and other open foods in airtight plastic containers. Also make sure the gasket on your fridge seals completely, clean and fortify cupboards, wipe down recycling or trash bins and lock if necessary.
- Get busy with home improvement. Pests are much more abundant when there are leaky pipes, musty basements, moist or rotting boards, holes in screens, and un-caulked cracks or voids. Fix it up and replace pipes or boards as needed.
- Block and spray areas of entry. Discourage pests from coming indoors by coating a film on doorsills and windowsills (dish soap works well against ants), cutting away branches that serve as natural bridges, storing wood piles away from the house, and patching up or caulking cracks and voids.
In a nutshell, these are a handful of general things you can do to get rid of pests on your property. From ants to rats, basic clean up and repair goes a long way. Go green to make your pests go away—naturally.