Pavement Ants Scientific Name: Tetramorium caespitum
Where oh where would you find a pavement ant nest? You guessed it—in the pavement! Pavement ants build small, crater-like nests near cracks in the sidewalk and pavement especially if located close to a lawn. They are often the ants you see forming a large black ant pile in your summer lawn. Occasionally they can be found in the home, with nests near cracks in the foundation or near a source of heat. Pavement ants, like most ants, think honeydew and sweets taste really yummy; however, they prefer meats and greasy foods. Often they will also feed on young plants in your prized flower garden!
A bite or sting from a pavement ant is not anything serious and it shouldn’t hurt too much because it will be very small. If the bite bothers you, it can be treated with basic over-the-counter medications, such as calamine lotion and antihistamine, which will help stop the itching and burning.
Weekly Pest Control Deals
ANThology PA by Alien Ant Farm CD Mar 2001 Dreamworks SKG
End Date: Tuesday Jul-29-2014 18:56:19 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $7.99
Taurus SC Termite Ant Control 78 oz Fipronil 91 Generic Termidor Termiticide
End Date: Thursday Aug-28-2014 0:41:08 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $117.00
Alien Ant Farm Busted The Definitive DVD DVD 2006
$0.99 (1 Bid)
End Date: Thursday Jul-31-2014 14:21:38 PDT
VINTAGE UNCLE MILTON FASCINATING ANT FARM 15 DATED 1970 NIB
End Date: Friday Aug-1-2014 15:58:52 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $9.99
Termidor SC Termite Ant Control 20oz Btl 91 Fipronil Termiticide Insecticide
End Date: Sunday Aug-3-2014 12:02:08 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $55.99
VINTAGE AMERICAN CYANAMID COMPANY 4 OZ CAN CYANOGAS KILLS ANTS POISON ANT KILLER
End Date: Saturday Aug-2-2014 17:00:32 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $59.95
Pavement Ant Control
If you have had it up to here with pavement ants and want them to hit the road, consider calling a professional. Professionals will use one or more of the following methods.
- Insecticide barriers: This treatment is way more effective than any “No trespassing!” signs you may have put up. It consists of putting insecticide chemicals on or close to places of entry for the Pavement ants. One example involves putting a coating of insecticide on doorsills to kill or repel intruding ants.
- Poisoned baits: Sponsor a feast for your unwanted guests. This treatment entails putting out toxic bait that the ants readily carry back to their humble abode for their—unbeknownst to them—last meal.
- Nest toxicants: Make it rain on their parade. The most effective of all treatments involves dousing the nest and surrounding area directly with toxicants. This is best when the nest is located outside.
Pavement Ants Green Pest Control Solutions
If you’re interested in an environmentally-friendly way to rid yourself of pavement ants, consider the following green solutions to discourage these ants from coming back.
- Caulk and block areas of entry.
- Trim the tree: Trim back trees and shrubbery away from the house to destroy any natural bridges.
- Do some home improvement. Replace leaky pipes and moist materials.
- Your mom was right; you need to clean your room! If you have a problem with Pavement ants, you need to do some thorough cleaning. Sweep areas free of food crumbs, wash the floors, vacuum, clean recyclable containers before using, etc. You may even want to apply a vinegar-water solution on hardwood floors to destroy Pavement ant trails.
Best Ant Control Products