Fleas on Kittens
Fleas are small biting insects that are more than just a nuisance. They are parasites that can not only annoy your pets but also make them very ill. Kittens are a preferred host for fleas. As a cat owner it is important to know the signs of fleas on kittens, the risks of fleas, and the steps to exterminate fleas.
You can know if you have fleas on your kitten by its behavior and health. The following list details the signs and symptoms of fleas on a kitten:
- Extreme Grooming: Fleas make your cat's skin very itchy; therefore, one sign to look for is excessive scratching and licking.
- Hair Loss: The excessive grooming can cause your cat to begin to lose its hair; therefore, hair loss is another warning sign that your cat may have fleas.
- Avoidance of Carpet: Carpet can be a place where fleas live, causing your cats to avoid carpeted rooms.
- Out of Ordinary Behavior: Fleas on kittens can make them become edgy or begin doing things that are unusual.
- Red sores on skin: Flea bites can cause a cat’s skin to become red and irritated. Your cat may scratch or bite these sores, causing them to bleed.
- Spots in the Cat’s bedding: This is flea feces that turns red when warmed by a cat’s sleeping body.
These signs will allow you to spot fleas and get rid of them before your kitten gets seriously ill.
Weekly Pest Control Deals
FLEX KIT ADVANCED FLEA CONTROL Medication 9 75 Monthly Treatments Dogs Cats
$41.00 (24 Bids)
End Date: Tuesday Mar-11-2014 21:16:43 PDT
Advantage 100 Flea Control Blue For Dogs Over 55 lb 4 pack FAST SHIPPING
End Date: Tuesday Apr-8-2014 17:16:51 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $35.95
Bayer Advantage Flea Control Teal For Dogs 11 20 lbs 4 pack Fast Shipping
End Date: Tuesday Apr-8-2014 10:53:25 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $30.75
12 Month Supply Flea Control Capsules Generic Program Lufenuron Dogs 11 20 lbs
End Date: Tuesday Mar-11-2014 21:13:07 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $21.99
ADVANTAGE II Flea Control Dogs and Puppies up to 10 lbs Green 4 Pack FREE SHIP
$23.00 (1 Bid)
End Date: Wednesday Mar-12-2014 7:10:34 PDT
Bayer Advantage 18 Flea Control Purple For Cats Over 9 Lbs 4 PACK FREE SHIPPING
End Date: Tuesday Apr-8-2014 10:53:47 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $33.00
However, if the problem persist or gets worse, your kitten’s health can be in jeopardy. One of the most common problems is flea anemia. When a cat bites the red sores on their skin they begin to bleed. If they lose a large amount of red blood cells they will become weak, withdrawn, and depressed. This condition of anemia is most often seen in kittens and older cats. Fleas can also pass along tapeworms and Lyme disease. Flea anemia, tapeworm and Lyme disease are serious conditions and should be taken care of by a veterinarian.
There are a variety of steps that you can take to treat fleas on kittens. The safest way to treat kittens is by using a flea comb and a warm bath. First use a flea comb and comb out as many fleas as possibly (of course you will want to be outside). Next, bathe your kitten with ivory dish soap or dawn dishwashing detergent. After the bath, comb your kitten with the flea comb again. One tip to aid you in capturing the fleas is to dab the fleas with Vaseline jelly. The Vaseline will stop the flea, making it easier for you to remove it from you kitten. Make sure and treat the kitten’s mother for fleas as well. The mother cat can be treated with a flea treatment like Advantage, Front Line or Revolution. In order to completely exterminate fleas you will also need to treat the environment. This means vacuuming all of your carpet and spraying with insecticide. If the problem persists call a professional pest control company.