Rodent Control

Pest Control for Rodents

All rodent baits are toxic to dogs and cats, therefore caution must be exercised while in use. Because these chemicals are slow acting, dead rodents may contain several lethal doses of toxicity, and secondary poisoning of pets and wildlife is possible if they consume one of these rodents after its death. It is imperative to contain all items used before and during application of pest control chemicals. In the event that a pet has consumed rodent bait, a vet should be contacted immediately.

You may also use bait stations. These are tamper-resistant boxes which can be made in the home from cans and other craft work or bought from a local or professional hardware store. If you decide to use a bait station, it is important to make sure that the bait station is secure and that small children or family pets are unable to open the station once secure. If you are able to shake your bait station lose, please consider mending or replacing the unit to ensure maximum safety precautions are taken.

The contents of a bait station contain toxic chemicals which are used in conjunction with a lure to entice pests into the station to die. This allows you to control the extermination process and place the bait station in an area of known pest activity. They may also be used as a preventative action and should be checked regularly to ensure remains do not decompose. Both the bait station and the remains of the pest are toxic if consumed. You should always wash your hands after installing a bait station and always keep unused bait stations out of the reach of small children and animals.Trapping mice is effective method for small mice infestations. This method is definitely the  greenest method. You don’t need to worry about poison nor a decaying carcass smell.

While disposing of exterminated rodents, keep pets away from bait and dead or dying animals. Discard carcasses by burying or placing them in a plastic bag, sealing it, and placing in the trash. Dead animals should never be handled with bare hands, and following the disposal of the rodent, hands should always be scrubbed and disinfected to prevent risk of infection.